Thursday, April 27, 2006

Hockey

I know I've already had rants about sports but I figured it was time for an addendum of sorts. I must first re-state that I am a bad Canadian. I hate hockey. I hate all sports, but hockey holds a special place in my heart—a rather miserable place, if you ask me.

Seeing as the previous rant also contained my reasons for disliking hockey I'll get to some of the more specific rants.

The aspect of sports I hate more than the watching of the sports themselves is "sports fever." I don't care who wins. In fact, I hope the Canadiens lose as soon as possible. If they do, there will be much less playoff-watching around me. The other day at the dinner table, everyone had to be watching the game while eating, so I was the one who volunteered to take the seat with the back facing the television. The highlight of the evening was when the Canadiens score while I was in mid-bite, everyone jumps up and yells, while I don't even break the movement from my plate to my mouth. I just don't get why people care so much. All I ever get is "well, you get caught up in the fever!" But why is there fever in the first place? They're not really doing ANYTHING! Or sometimes I get the "local pride" sort of argument: does the ability of a small group of a city's residents to perform well in sports determine a city's worth? Most players aren't from here anyway! It's just saying "we bought better players than you!" It accomplishes absolutely nothing.

I don't really care too much what other people do, but it's when I'm seeing friends (and significant others) that it starts to bug me; I want to spend time with people where everyone can enjoy what we're doing. I'm always willing to accommodate others, but they use the excuse "oh, but this is only happening once! We can go out anytime, we can see that movie anytime..." Well, every moment of your life happens only once. So deal with it. Watch the highlights for the really "amazing" plays, see the scores, let a night of it go. For fuck's sake, it's just people hitting a projectile into a net! No story, no depth, no relevance...

I just want it to fucking end. Stupid goddamn hockey. I don't hate it so much normally, it's just when it starts to interfere with my life.

:

Blogger Harley said...

Maybe it's just that I never felt the tribe mentality, really.

6:43 p.m.  
Blogger Harley said...

Actually I don't... Those fanatical Mac users creep me out...

1:29 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first season ever I've watched hockey. At the beginning, all I see is a bunch of red players going around, and I can't really do much but observe. But after a while, you start knowing who's who, who's good, and who's bad. From that point on, it just gets soo much more interesting. You start recoginizing players just by the way they skate.

Of course watching the game with friends is alot of fun, and I suspect it's alot more fun than being there while your friends watch it.

I guess my point is, when you haven't followed a team, it's hard to get into it. But try it for one season, like the next one. Watch the game with your buddies regularly, and I can guarantee that by the end of the year, you'll be as absorbed as everyone else.

3:26 p.m.  
Blogger Caitlin said...

Don't go back to Kingston. It's for your own good. Unless you want to be surrounded by non-stop hockey rivalries!!

If I see one more "Kingston is Hockeyville" sign, I swear...someone's gonna get hurt a real bad.

10:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird, I would love to be in the middle of hockey central such as yourself. I live in Ohio and root for the Dallas Stars, but I will watch any game that's on. I guess you just have to appreciate the sport, maybe even actually played it. I grew interested late in life(around 21) and had never even ice skated up to that point. But I jumped in and tried, 11 years later I still play and enjoy it more than ever. Try to sit back and absorb the finer points of the game: The skating, the puck handling, deeking out a defenseman, The sweet pass through a defenders legs, the ability of the 6 players on the ice to adjust to the play on the fly and make something happen!! It's almost magical!!! I also obsess over Mac related news, maybe I have some sort of mental deficiency.

7:49 p.m.  
Blogger Linda Wang said...

I don't like hockey season either. I only watch 2 sporty things. Open and Closing Ceremony of Olympics and I'm not sure you can even call that sporty.

An interesting observation though is since hockey happens every year, I don't think it's as bad as the World Cup Fever.

5:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home