Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Germany (In Denglish)

So, now that I've graduated I decided to do something to (a) use some of the money I've been saving forever, (b) finally stop saying I've never been beyond the borders of Canada and the US.

Since I've been taking German for the last zwei semesters, ich figured ich would brush up on the ol' Deutsch, and gehe nach Deutschland. Ich depart am 11. August, und ich komme back am 27. August. Ich even prepared ein Bisschen by reading "Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen". Now I've gotta arbeit on the grammar. Und comprehension. Comprehension ist key. Ob ich can speak it, I'll still have to understand what the locals sagen to me. Mein Plan, by the way, ist zu get around sprechen as little Englisch as possible. I don't want all those German lessons to go to waste. Going alone will also contribute to the development of mein Deutsch-skills as ich will habe less incentive zu speak Englisch.

I haven't worked out a complete itinerary yet, aber I know that ich will land in Paris, take einen train to Köln, und dann ich have some plans for the city, though I go back to Paris via Köln so I'm sure ich could cut down the Zeit spent there the first time if ich kann make up for it in the end.

I'd love zu go to Bad Homburg, too—just outside of Frankfurt am Main—it's where Linotype ist located (the company ist eine major designer and distributor of fonts.) Ich e-mailed them asking if sie offer tours mit any historische merit or something similar, though ich have nicht heard back from them yet.

I'll post meine Pläne as they come up and if ich habe any spare Zeit while I'm there (doubtful) ich kann possibly blog ein Bisschen.

For those of you who really can't understand this post (even though you should–I decided to be fair in what words I substituted), consult LEO, or take a German class. My German is better than the Germlish in which I posted... I should do some German blogging, though. It'd be fun. With translations, of course.

:

Blogger Unknown said...

This is not really Germlish but, rather, Denglish. Germlish falls more into the idea of a "direct" (although not always 100% so) translation from German into English. For example: *I am living here since 5 years. Ich wohne hier seit 5 Jahren. Although understood, this is not the way you use this grammar in English. You need to use the Present Perfect which tells us that something began in the past and continues up to now in this particular case.

Denglish, on the other hand, is a blend of both German and English in a sentence as you so nicely illustrated in your post.

11:38 a.m.  
Blogger Harley said...

There ya go! Fixed. :D

I didn't use Germlish as a technical term, and I think my friends would probably be a little more confused by the word Denglish, since its meaning is not as obvious to an English speaker as Germlish at first glance...

11:42 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home